The Group established in 1985, is a Market Leader in the field of Freight Forwarding and Customs Clearance Services. With its Headquarters based in Nairobi, Kenya the Group has Branch offices in London – United Kingdom, Dubai – United Arab Emirates and Kampala – Uganda.
The Group has field offices at major Ports of entry within East Africa, these being
- Port of Mombasa, Kenya
- Embakasi Inland Container Depot, Nairobi, Kenya
- Jomo Kenyatta International Airport, Nairobi, Kenya
- Nakawa Inland Container Terminal, Kampala, Uganda
- Entebbe Airport, Uganda
Groups Branch office in London serves as a liaison point for the shipments originated from USA and Europe while the Dubai office serves the Middle East and Asia sector. Both the offices handle various services including cross trade and sea/air. The Group has a world class logistics network in over 50 countries connecting to 190 air/sea ports enabling to offer reliable, effective and competitive services from most parts of the world.
Objectives of ERP Implementation
Group legacy system was not scalable and could not cater to the needs of the growing business and diverse need of changing economy. In order to control this widely spread business, the company decided to go for a web based ERP to enforce controls and processes across various departments.
Some challenges before web based ERP were
Other than the basic computerization in Purchase, Stores and Finance department, special emphasis was required to be given to the following areas.
- Consolidation/ Deconsolidation of Shipments: establishing Master-House relation for both Import and Export Shipments
- Booking of Import/ Export Orders and opening of multiple Jobs against a single order in case, multiple services are booked by a single client
- Internal allocation of Jobs (subcontracting) to other companies of the group in case the company that has booked the order is not executing the entire Job on its own
Charges and Invoicing
- System includes Contracts established with Clients giving various applicable charges for Air/ Sea, Import/ Export and Custom Clearance. Formulae for calculation of different charges are user definable (one time entry) and are stored in the system to be used during Invoicing. In case of any amendment to charges, history of charges is maintained
- System maintains Air and Ocean Rate Tables by Air line or Shipping line, Origin Destination Pairs, Break Points (Weight, Volume, etc.), Commodity Class and Currency along with Effective or Expiry Dates
- Quotations are prepared for Freight Forwarding transactions using Rate Tables defined in the system
- System maintains information of Selling and Buying Rates, and Profit Sharing with overseas counterpart
- Remittance Procedure – Freight Remittance to overseas counterpart are handled by system
- For each Job, track of various statutory and non-statutory charges requisitioned from and paid to various parties’ right from the opening of a Job till its closure, are maintained
- Invoices for Custom Clearance and Freight Forwarding using Rates established in the system are generated. Customers are billed in the currency of their choice or mixed currencies
- System maintains Job wise track of Income and Expenses in order to calculate profit/ loss against each Job
Status Reporting to Client
- Keeps track of Shipment Status from Origin to Destination and real time status reporting to Client regarding Progress of Job.
- Records deficiencies in documents and tracks them to closure.
Import Freight Forwarding
- Records details of pre-alert received from overseas agent for Import Shipment (Flight/ Vessel details, Cargo details, Airway Bill/ Bill of Lading details, Delivery instructions etc.)
- Generates Cargo Arrival Notice-cum-Invoice
Import Custom Clearance
- Prepares Bill of Entry Annexures for filing with Customs
- Calculates Duty Amount
- Maintains track of the Shipment as it passes through various stages of Import Custom Clearance. Records relevant details of all Custom Clearance stages including Query Resolution
- Cargo Delivery after Custom Clearance
Export Freight Forwarding
- Space booking with carrier
- Sea: Booking container with shipping line (for Full Container Load (FCL) Shipment)/ space booking with Non-Vessel Operating Common Carrier (NVOCC) line (for Less than Container Load (LCL) Shipment)
- Air: Space booking with Airline
- Cargo Stuffing
- Sea: Generates Container Loading Plan in case of container stuffing of FCL Shipment
- Air: Generates Loading Plan/ Consol Manifest
- Prepares Pre-Shipment Advice that is sent to various parties
- Maintains details of Cargo Pickup from Shipper
- Prepares House Bill of Lading, Ocean Bill of Lading, House Air Way Bill and Master Air Way Bill
Export Custom Clearance
- Prepares Shipping Bill annexures for filing with Customs
- Maintains track of the Shipment as it passes the various stages of Export Custom Clearance and records relevant details of all Custom Clearance Stages
The company evaluated several ERPs, and finally chose ebizframe, an ERP solution from Eastern Software Systems Pvt. Limited. ebizframe was preferred because of its state of art technology, good track record, low entry and implementation cost and a clear implementation methodology and transparent costing system.
Group decided to implement ebizframe ERP system in Jun’ 2008. ebizframe was adopted with some customization and major re-engineering of their business processes that was necessary as the organization moved from a decentralized system to an on-line integrated system in a controlled operations environment. The ebizframe implementation includes modules like SFA, Finance, Purchase, Inventory, SED & HRPay.
Benefits Derived after implementation of ebizframe
- Helped organization to achieve better monitoring of the consignments
- Resulted in lower turnaround time
- Better quality control and vendor monitoring is possible as all the data is available online
- Finance with its features like consolidation options gives it a better control and flexibility over financial reporting
- Many MIS reports are available on click of button
- Better monitoring of entire operations
- Manual data reconciliation has stopped completely resulting in minimizing multiple entries for the same transaction